Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Just A Note

One of the ladies in our Swedish weaving group came to me with a problem.  She couldn't center one of her patterns and couldn't understand why.  I looked it over and also couldn't find the cause...this irritated me no end because I knew it must be staring me in the face but I couldn't see it.

We tried for a while until I got fed up with it and suggested she bring it to our next get-together so we could have some of the other weavers look at it.  She did and, sure enough, one of the ladies solved the problem.

This is the value of joining a Swedish weaving club.  What one person can't solve, another one can.  We also learn new techniques from each other to further our craft.

I've been kind of lazy this winter and haven't put in much time on my own project.  I took time out to learn how to make infant toques on a little plastic loom I found at Joann's Fabrics.  It's nice to have these little projects to occasionally turn to because making a Swedish weaving afghan is a lengthy process.

Swedish weaving is still my craft of choice and I do enjoy it more than any other but my Florida winters don't leave me a lot of time to spend on it.  I do more Swedish weaving when I'm back home in Canada for the summer.

I'm sure the afghan I'm presently working on will be finished quickly once I get back home but, for now, the Florida sunshine and warmth offers more interesting choices for me to do.

6 comments:

  1. I posted months ago about a project I was starting. I just finished it and I must say I'm glad to be done with it! The last two throws I have done are from a book of modern designs and the patterns are not the easiest to follow! I would like to include pictures but can't figure out how...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to take so long to answer but I didn't see your comment until now. The best booklet to buy is called "Diamonds"...costs about $7 on Ebay. It is full of patterns from easy to more difficult but none are really difficult. I've used these patterns for years, sometimes altering them to suit what I want.
      Ask a friend to show you how to send pictures...my grandson has taught me a lot about the computer. LOL!

      Delete
  2. My granddaughter has picked a pattern from one of your pictures for me to make for her. Is there any chance you might be able to tell me name of pattern from 2014 picture? It was 11/21/2014. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi: Your letter gave me the opportunity to go through my patterns and straighten them up. The main part of the pattern is called "Yosemite" and can be found in Avery Hill's first booklet on how to do Swedish weaving. I tend to mix and match patterns, though and I believe that's what I did here. I hope that helps. Just a note of caution, though...I had a difficult time with the small "circles" but finally got it right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just learning Swedish Weaving. Are there any groups that get together in the Tampa area?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a lot of Swedish weaving groups in the States compared to Canada so try googling to find one in Tampa. You don't really need a group to learn and improve but it's fun to be around people who enjoy it as much as you do. Send me some photos of your work if you can, okay?

    ReplyDelete