Thursday, November 19, 2020

Yarns With Glitter Thread

 

I know I've posted my experience with glitter thread yarns before but it never hurts to have a reminder.  I really like using Caron's Simply Soft Party but I have to weave differently with it than I do with yarns without the glitter thread. 

I discovered a while back that glitter yarn will run through the floats easier if I knot the ends and pull through the floats with the knot right against the needle.  This really matters because every time you have to untangle your glitter yarn, you take the chance of breaking that glitter thread.  The few times I broke the glitter thread, I had to pull out the whole row and redo it because I won't sell an item with it broken.  This is time consuming and puts you in a bad mood.  LOL!

The table runner shown above is a project I'm working on right now and I learned something from it, too.  That particular row takes 4 widths of yarn and so far I've been lucky enough to only break the glitter thread at the very end where I could cut it off...but I still have to weave the corresponding row.  I decided that, if the glitter thread breaks in the next row, I'll pull out both rows and change the pattern.  I won't ever use a pattern again that requires more than 2 1/2-3 lengths of yarn when I'm using glitter yarn.  The longer the piece of yarn, the more likely you are to end up breaking the glitter thread.

A lot of us use glitter yarn for our Christmas patterns so I thought this was a good opportunity to let you all know how I use it.  I'd love to hear from anyone who would like to share their ideas on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment