Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Lesson Learned

This is the first of two table runners I'm making.  My plan was to use white monks cloth and a variegated turquoise yarn...looks like what you see, right?  Well, not all is well!

One of the things I tell my students is to be very careful when buying variegated yarn.  Always check how long each color is on the strand and try to keep it around 4-6" so that you won't have long stretches of one color in your pattern.  Apparently I didn't follow my own advice when I purchased the above yarn.

I've actually never seen a variegated yarn like this one.  There is approximately a stretch of one color that measures 3-4 FEET before changing to different shades each measuring 6-8" (too long but I'm stuck with it).  The variegated section also measures about 3-4 feet before once again returning to a solid color measuring 3-4'.

Because I don't need a lot of yarn to complete my project, I'm disposing of the solid sections and using only the variegated sections.  The waste is immense and bugs the life out of me.

I can only blame myself for not checking properly but, if what could be checked was the variegated, no-one would be able to tell that further along was that awful 3-4 feet of solid color.

Live and learn, I guess.

4 comments:

  1. I'm new at this...just created my first piece with no problems with white monk cloth...I bought tan monk cloth...prepared it in washer...came out with pilling...is this common? I did wash and dry it by itself. Got fabric at JoAnn"s Fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 2 sets of prepared fabric...some I washed at regular speed in the washer and some that I washed at gentle speed. All of the pieces washed at regular speed have pilling. When I work on pilled fabric, I use one of those little doodads that will scrape the pilling off and then physically remove what is left as I work the pattern. I know how aggravating it is to remove all that pilling so try washing the fabric at gentle speed next time and see if that helps.

      Delete
    2. Thanks....I used one of those "doodads" too and am removing as I weave. I'll try the slow speed next piece I work on.

      Delete
    3. Just a reminder...wash in hot water and dry on high with a few towels tossed in to keep the monk's cloth unfolded. Also, join a Swedish weaving group if you can because that's where all the new ideas come from.

      Delete