Thursday, December 13, 2018

Following a Pattern



This is an unfinished Swedish weaving table runner where I had trouble following the pattern so ended up doing it my own way.  It is often very difficult to follow these old patterns that are printed in black only instead of having each line a different color.  That's the problem I ran into with"Tropical Paradise" which is in the first Avery Hill book of patterns.  Whoever thought to color code each line of pattern is a genius!!

Anyway, I just couldn't decipher the pattern where the lines crossed each other and finally gave up and sort of created my own pattern.  Some interesting features were lost that way but it was the best I could do.

I'm using a very course and thick yarn...an old one without the wrapper to identify it...and it gives great texture.  It's rough to work with but looks perfect when done.  I like using a thicker yarn like this once in a while because you always get good heavy texture with it.

The monks cloth is a light sage and the yarn is a variegated green.  I've already packed my sewing machine in the car to go to Florida so any Swedish weaving I do right now will be finished in Florida.  

This will be my last post of the year so I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  Keep on weaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment