Thursday, July 16, 2020

Copying Patterns

I saved a few patterns on Facebook to hopefully be able to follow myself but I'm feeling a little guilty.  Is it wrong to look at a simple pattern and have the expertise to copy it?  I can't make up my mind how this could be wrong when we copy all kinds of things.  I used to sew and would often change the pattern a bit to look like an article of clothing I'd seen in the store.  We see photos of gardens and plant our own to look the same.  It's kind of confusing because I'm very aware that Swedish weaving pattern designers (and all designers, I guess) create for profit.

I've finally decided that I will copy the patterns and use them for my own projects but not display them on the Swedish weaving sites or the blog.  I'd like some of the readers to tell me what they think about copying patterns! 

Update:  I managed to figure out a difficult pattern I had copied and am pleased with the look of it.  Of course, I've added my own borders to make it unique but I have to admit I didn't get the same satisfaction in the process.  I happen to have a very strong guilt complex about copying the pattern and don't think it's worth my while to work that way.  I just bought  some patterns from Monk's Cloth Lady and I know I'll enjoy using them.  The cost (usually around $8 U.S.) is nothing when you think how many times you can re-use the patterns. 

2 comments:

  1. A dear friend is a designer of SW - and she spends a lot of time and energy making those designs. I would hope people are honest and not stealing from her and other designers by sharing their designs instead of each person buying their own pattern.

    If we do not consider designers it's for sure there will be fewer and fewer willing to do the work for free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. I finally finished the table runners where I did copy (or tried to) the pattern from the internet, and will sell them but I won't publish the photos either here or on Facebook. It sure isn't easy to copy patterns and really not worth the trouble when you think how many times you re-use a pattern you've bought. I buy mainly from Christine Allan because I like her patterns and find her a very honest and pleasant seller to deal with.

    ReplyDelete