Friday, October 17, 2014

Swedish Weaving Table Runners





These are the recent table runners I've completed.  It was so darned difficult today to get accurate copies of the colors but what's most important are the patterns.

I enjoy making the runners because they're completed very quickly and it makes a nice break from struggling with 2 1/2 yds. of fabric for afghans.  It's also a good way to use small, leftover skeins of yarn.  A friend of mine made a Christmas runner and attached all kinds of Christmasy items to it.  Because of that she'd have to hand wash it but it looked lovely.

A few years ago, before Walmart stopped stocking lots of monk's cloth colors, I would buy up every remnant they had so now I have a huge stock of them.

When I teach someone to do Swedish weaving, I always have them start with a table runner and, once they see the beautiful result, they always go on to make afghans.  I think doing the table runner as a first project is less intimidating and less expensive for them to learn a new craft.  

No comments:

Post a Comment