Monday, June 11, 2018

Just a Hint

I was horrified to read that one of our Swedish weavers actually keeps track of how many hours (days, weeks, months!) it takes her to complete a Swedish weaving project.  I have an approximate idea how long it takes me but I don't know exactly...and I don't want to know exactly because that might take the fun out of weaving.  It doesn't matter one bit to me how long it takes when I'm making something for family or a friend but I try not to think about the hours I spend making an item to sell.

People who do crafts for sale will never get paid properly for their time and we accept that.  We hopefully get our enjoyment out of creating...I know I do.  I get further enjoyment out of seeing a stranger look at my work with admiration.  Thankfully, the few pieces I sell are not an important part of my income or I'd starve.

It's been gratifying to me to find more Canadians who actually know what Swedish weaving is.  Most have never heard of it because the supplies are atrociously expensive in Canada and that's why I buy most of mine in the States.

My hint for today, though, is for weavers to put to the back of their minds how long it takes them to complete a project.  Just weave and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment