Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Table Runner I Won't Repeat





This is a perfectly beautiful table runner but one I'll never repeat because of the yarn I used.  Unlike the photos, the yarn color is a rich variegated copper metallic and I just loved it when I bought it...but not after using it.

Paton's Metallic in the copper alloy colors doesn't weave particularly well...I had to pull out one row when the strand itself began to unravel.  It definitely doesn't lock in well at the end of the row.  I knew I couldn't use it as part of the fringe because of it's terrible unraveling so I wove the ends back in and actually tried to knot them to prevent further unraveling.  It doesn't appear to be working so this runner will definitely have to be hand washed carefully.

Each strand is variegated in color and in thickness which makes for a beautifully textured design.  And that's where the good part ends.  I love the finished appearance but not the worry of future unraveling.

Unfortunately I bought 2 skeins of this yarn, the copper alloy and a gorgeous burnished rose gold that looks more like periwinkle to me.  I guess I'll use it on a runner just because it's so pretty.

The pattern is Christine Allen's Cobblestone Way and I only changed the border to simplify it.  I've used this pattern before and love it!

Update:  Donna gave me a really good idea on how to secure the ends of this yarn.  She suggested burning the ends so they wouldn't continue to unravel.  I used to make floor mats with very thick ropey yarn and that's how we secured those ends.  I haven't tried it yet but will take photos when I do.  I'm actually getting ready to start a new table runner using the yarn (I was foolish enough to buy 2 skeins) so I sure hope burning the ends works!

Update:  I cut off a piece of the yarn to burn the end...didn't want to start burning it on the skein in case it flared right through it...and it worked perfectly.  For some reason I thought it might leave a glob on the ends but it looks very small and neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment