Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Colored Monk's Cloth to be Discontinued

I can't believe this is happening.  The manufacturers of monk's cloth have said they'll discontinue producing it in colors other than white and beige and, apparently, there is a danger of it all being discontinued.  I hope I'm wrong about that.  It had seemed to me that Swedish weaving was only gaining in popularity as a craft and that's why I'm so surprised.

The price of the fabric has gone up drastically and maybe people are buying less.  I don't know but I feel grateful I bought up all the colored monk's cloth I could when Walmart started to phase it out.  At that time I was paying about $7 per yard.

I've been planning on buying a bolt of red monk's cloth when I get to Florida after Christmas but got very worried there would be none available by then so I had my daughter (American) order some for me.  Shipping a bolt of monk's cloth to her was $20 so I can't imagine what it would cost to ship it to Canada.  The order went through (on Ebay) so I can only hope it will be filled and waiting for me when I get to Florida.  I want the red fabric to make Christmas table runners.

I'm now the proud owner of more darned monk's cloth than I'll ever use up in my lifetime but my plan is to leave it all to Faye and Donna when I pass away.  

On the serious side, I obtain a true joy creating with Swedish weaving and I know many others do, too.  My hope is that we'll somehow find a decent substitute for the monk's cloth if it disappears altogether.  

No comments:

Post a Comment