Thursday, August 18, 2011

Swedish Weaving Club

I've been doing Swedish weaving for quite a few years...maybe 7 or 8...and have loved the artistry of the craft so much that I actually gave up quilting. I was taught by a lady at the Florida park where I spend the winters and have continued on to teach anyone who is interested.

I have a few blogs of different interests and I thought it would be fun to start one just for us Swedish weavers or Swedish weaver wannabes. I'll post pictures of my own projects and those of my friends. If anyone is nice enough to send me a picture of their own project, I'll post that, too.

We weavers have a good time teaching each other with new ideas and different ways of practicing our craft of choice. I've never met one yet who wasn't interested in learning or trying a new procedure that would make their work nicer or easier.

Swedish weaving is a time consuming craft, one that I as a retiree have plenty of time for but I'm always stressing that it doesn't matter how long it takes you to finish a project. I have found Swedish weaving to be the most comforting craft I've ever involved myself in. You can pick up and work on it for a minute , an hour, or a day and then lay it aside until you want to work on it again.

I'm hoping that many people will fall across this blog and help me add to it. Swedish weaving is almost a hidden art form with too few people who even know it exists. I've given lessons to complete strangers at Walmart while shopping for fabric and yarn so you never know when you can welcome someone to the fold.

If you Swedish weave or are just interested in the craft, welcome to the club!

3 comments:

  1. Having a hard time finding Monkscloth at a reasonable price

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding it at all in Canada is almost impossible but, if you live in the States and near a Joann's Fabric store, the cheapest way to buy monk's cloth is their pre-packaged 2 1/2 yard pieces when you have a 40-50% discount coupon. It will end up costing about $17. Another route you can take is to go to IKEA and buy their odd run throw (about $15 in the States). It very much resembles monk's cloth. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned Swedish weave from a wonderful lady at the park we stay at in Arizona. I started this past November & I’m addicted to it. I have finished 2 throws & 5 runners. I will be starting another throw very soon. Monks cloth is expensive. I was lucky enough that another lady at the park had a stash of monks cloth that I bought from her & now my stash is complete. I have 7 projects & have matched it with the yarn I already had. Now just to get started. We are also selling our house, so my plate is a little full. Swedish weave for me is very calming & that is needed right now! Thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete