Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Swedish Weaving Lap Afghan For Dee



This is a lap afghan I'm working on for my friend, Dee.  Since I like to alter existing patterns to suit my purpose, I started out with "Cascade", one of only 2 patterns i brought to Florida with me.

As you can see, my alterations, being made up as I go along, are turning out just fine.  This isn't always the case but it's working this time.  I especially love playing around with the diamonds used as filler between the pattern.

The fourth row you see on my work is the center and I haven't yet decided to use the beige or a dark green so I'm waiting to reach that spot in the afghan once again so I can try out the dark green.  I don't want to pull out the beige right now in case it's time and yarn wasted.  I will continue to use the beige for the diamonds.

I'm using Caron Simply Soft yarn in bone, pumpkin, and possibly dark sage...I might not use the sage.  I like to use at least 3 colors in an afghan but I like the way the 2...bone and pumpkin...look right now.  Dee wanted something to go with the brown in her room and I really don't like brown or even working with it.  That said, I've seen some really beautiful Swedish weaving afghans made where the weaver used brown.

I'm also weaving on white monk's cloth and could not have used the bone yarn if I'd chosen the ecru fabric.  It would have disappeared into the cloth.

I'm very much enjoying this pattern I've concocted and am now weaving love into the afghan.

Note:  I've decided to go with just the 2 colors...bone and pumpkin.  I tried inserting some green again and it just didn't look right.

7 comments:

  1. That is a lovely shade of pumpkin on what will be a lovely afghan! I have a hard time imagining how it would look with dark sage. Were you planning on using the sage to outline the pumpkin areas like the dark color on the chart? I don’t know... I think my inclination is to say skip the sage on this one. It’s beautiful as it is, and the contrast you have now is enough.
    I have an unrelated question: do you have any pattern recommendations for making a baby blanket? I know long floats would be a no-no on a baby blanket, so that limits the patterns I can use. I only have the “17 projects” book, and I didn’t see any patterns in there that would be really good for a blanket. Sooo... suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking along the same lines as you...just using the pumpkin and the bone, although I don't mind trying a row of the sage and then pulling it out if I don't like it. As for the baby blanket, I've always thought Swedish weaving wasn't right for baby blankets because it is their sweet nature to pick at things. I've seen some beautiful baby blankets done and haven't heard anyone else mention my concerns so maybe they do just fine. If I was going to make a Swedish weaving baby blanket, I'd use a pattern with no extra long loops, not anything little baby fingers could grab hold of. I hope you send me a photo of your finished project so I can put it on the blog. I hope I was of some help to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, your input and experience is VERY helpful, and I’m glad you are willing to share it.

    I am so insanely excited right now. I went digging around in my storage shed for some old trading cards I knew without a doubt were in there. I didn’t find them, but I DID find 7 yards of natural monk’s cloth (in 5-yard and 2-yard pieces), a 2-yard piece of black monk’s cloth, several 16”x16” squares of the natural cloth, 2 mostly completed pillow squares, and best of all... 4 Swedish weaving books I had thought were forever gone. I tell you, I am totally over the moon about it!

    Now I just need to get some of the ice gray for the baby blanket. The color theme will work better with the cooler color for the background. My husband says I should dye what I have instead of paying for more fabric. I worry about the excess dye that won’t wash out completely through the first dozen or so washes possibly causing problems for the baby and/or her mother. Plus, you never know for sure that you will get the color you are expecting. What are your thoughts on dyeing vs. buying the color needed?

    Hope your weekend is going well!
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be just as excited as you if I unexpectedly found a lovely stash of monks cloth! As for dyeing it, I haven't done that and probably won't because it sounds messy. I know it's not easy to find colors other than white and ecru but I'd honestly buy instead of dye.

    Send me a photo of your finished piece, okay? Happy Swedish weaving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do I send photos? I have a few I can send you now. The baby afghan will be at least a month away, as my husband asked me to wait until next payday before ordering the cloth and yarn.
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can send them to my e-mail address...pathammond128@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. Hello Pat,
    I have just sent you an email in regards to patterns. Thank you in advance

    ReplyDelete