Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Choosing One Yarn Over Another

This is part of the Christmas table runner I'm presently working on.  The yarn I'm using is a rather thick Bernat Happy Holidays.  Just below the final row of green is a row of red and, for some reason, I thought it might look better if I used a thinner yarn, Caron Simply Soft Party.  I thought the contrast might look nicer than using only the Bernat.

When I'm unsure like this, I will weave in both yarns for a short distance just to see which one I like best.  I've decided to go with only the Bernat because, to my eye, it seems nicer.  There is no set way to do this because all of us will look at a project differently and, whichever you choose, will always look just fine.

Just a note:  When I post photos of finished projects on Facebook, I don't write in all the details of why I chose what I did, what I liked or didn't like about my choice of yarn, etc.  That is what the blog is for...for readers to learn from my experiences and for me to learn from their's.  I think it would be very unfair for me to take up space on someone else's Facebook page telling you everything I just wrote here.  Facebook serves one purpose and the blog is for me (and you) to expand on what we're doing and why.  I was criticized by one lady for directing readers to the blog because she thought I was getting rich on it.  I made $100 all of last year and I'm not quite sure how that works...I think I get a fraction of a penny when a reader clicks on one of the ads but I'm not sure.  The blog has continued to grow in popularity so I'm making a little bit more this year ($70 in 6 months).  It doesn't matter to me.  I do Swedish weaving because I love the craft.  I post photos on Facebook because it's a learning experience for us weavers.  I write the blog because it's fun to do and also informative.  I'm actually very surprised that I've had to explain all this just because of one very rude lady but life is full of surprises.  Anyway, I know the blog is popular and serves a good purpose so one critic isn't going to change it. 

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to thank you for your blog and your posts. I don't do facebook but follow your blog and enjoy it very much. Try to ignore that rude person (I guess she's the thorn among the roses!) and know that the rest of us are very glad for the talent that you graciously share. Hard to believe that when someone shares ideas for free someone would complain about how they share it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm always at a loss when someone is deliberately rude like this but the best thing to do is walk away from them. I know this blog is useful and I have fun writing it. That's all that really matters, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete